RE: Beginning taxonomy for finding LDAP servers.

Yes - this issue is dealt with by navigation/knowledge within X.500
distributed directory systems -
I think the issue of finding disconnected - non distributed servers has
to be dealt with by knowledge stored somewhere - Its just a case of
quantity, scale and where - Unfortunately this approach will always hit
scaleing issues and be expensive to configure - so any mechanism that
means handraulically configuring "knowledge" will hit a wall.

I would also like to say that distributed directory services can be
"subject" based ie.. Books - Subject, Subect,, etc and in addition
directory systems can include lagacy databases as search engines - so
any mechanism used should not be considered as compatable with DNS, etc

I think the same issue will apply to this knowledge management issue -
that has hit the "referral" between LDAP servers and replication issue.

ie. Many are announcing that their LDAP servers support referrals. How
ever, in an authenticated environment, if server A refers you to server
B and then you access server B. Server B must have your entry in it so
that you can be authenticated. And if those users on server B want to
see server A then server B has to be replicated to server A. ie a
Referral mechanism becomes pointless in an authenticated world - because
it implies one has to replicate everything to everywhere. Impossible.

It follws that if this is the case for free standing non distributed
LDAP servers - replicate to everywhere - how does the other "distributed
knowledge issue work"?

I detect conflict here and an aweful lot of operational human effort to
run LDAP only systems.

Delivering configuration of distributed namespace without the system
performing distributed mutual authentication - (as per X.500) is not a
viable approach. Simply because - in LDAP world you will have to
replicate - everything to everywhere.

Sorry to be me again - but I do get concerned that more mechanisms like
this just create more configuration and replication - without any added
utility.

X.500 provides distributed knowledge and distributed mutual
authentication to slove these issues.

regards alan