Re: Display name attribute

Mark wrote

>  As with cn or any attribute type, values for
> displayName may be duplicated across entries (some sites and software may
> impose a uniqueness policy, but let's assume that is not the case). The
> user will need to differentiate between entries that have identical
> displayName values by examing some other information in the entry.  In
> Netscape Communicator's LDAP-enabled address book, for example, you can
> configure it to show displayName, uid, mail, and title or similar all on
> one line in response to a single search request.

Ok, thats a good solution for your browser, but it does not solve the
certificate problem mentioned in my other message, does it.

> displayName is not intended to provide a way to uniquely identify an
> entry; rather, it is intended to provide the best name to use for
> display.  If a DUA is *only* going to display one or two attribute
> values, the RDN might be a better choice than displayName.

I agree with this, and would also add that it is best to choose a
sensible value for the CN rather than unique garbage.

David

> Mark Smith
> Netscape Communications Corp. / Directory Server Engineering
> "Got LDAP?"

David Chadwick
IT Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
*NEW* Mobile +44 790 167 0359 *NEW*
Email D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J