RE: Submission of Internet Draft - LDAP Control for Tree Deletion draft

This is a useful feature - the only comment I can make is that this OK
for non distributed LDAP servers as they self limit once all the leaves
have gone. - but where we have distributed LDAP accessed DSAs, then the
verification of access controls across a chain of subordinated DSAs is
an issue. We apply domain and prescriptive  based access controls in our
stuff to prevent such threats.

From a theoretical point of view - the DSA that receives this type of
command has to check the entire subordinates ACI - which may be
distributed - before the fuse is lit!
Operationally - it is probably true to say that Users who can delete
superior entries - may by implication be able to delete subordinate DSA
entries.

But what happens if some one deletes a backbone DSA that just happens to
connect a few thousand subordinate organisations together.:-{{{

I just see this type of operation as "starting a bushfire" - and then
saying whoops !  Health warnings are good :-)

just thoughts and regards alan