Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-dupent-00.txt

Uppili Srinivasan wrote:
> What is the rationale for wanting the server to do this.  Should this probably be a client side issue (like you pointed out).  Probabaly an API option to facilitate those clients who might need this convenience?

In the simple case, where this control is used stand alone, the client *could* do this work.

In the case where this control is used in conjunction with the Server Side Sort control, the client would have to do the work and then re-sort the data (rendering the SSS control a bit useless).

In the case where this control is used in conjunction with the Virtual List View control, the client *can't* do the work.  This is because entries are first sorted (on the server) by specified attribute values, then returned in small sets (or list views) to the client.  Since the client doesn't have the entire list, it can't perform its own sort.

I'll add this explanation to the document if you think it helps clarify the need.

Jim