Re: LDAP application intelligence

Well, some constraints *are* imposed on the information.  The schema
definitions provide for syntax and size constraints, but anything beyond
that is either in the category of security or "conventions".

In any practical Enterprise Directory you will have to define conventions
for both naming and other attributes.  For instance, you may want some
consistency in the use of Common Name for people entries.  In some
organizations, they use given and surname, in some they use surname comma
given name and in others they use just surname.

I think you can  constrain the schema only so much before you run into
interoperability problems.  The Directory designers carefully weighed
flexibility options and came up with the current compromise which allows
anyone to define his/her own schema while still maintaining a large degree
of interoperability among administrative domains - provided some basic
rules are followed (e.g. use of standard schema as the basis and the use of
globally unique names).

Referential integrity can to some degree be handled by a mix of
policies/conventions, schema design, a bit of script development and some
manual procedure.  For instance, you could in each entry include an
attribute that could contain a list of the entries (using DNs) that contain
pointers to the entry.  When the entry is deleted or renamed a utility
could capture the attribute and log it for subsequent manual processing.  A
slighly more sophisticated script could automate the procedure completely.

In one of my clients' implementation we scanned the server log file on a
daily basis and checked for references by manually searching.  It worked
there because we only allowed the use of a few types of references - in
this case alias entries and the seeAlso attribute.

Automatically ensuring referential integrity for the general case can get
rather complex since may different attributes could contain references to
an entry.  And as someone pointed out earlier, it gets even worse when
multiple DSAs are involved.

Cheers,                    ....Erik.

Erik Skovgaard
GeoTrain Corp.