Re: Clarification of RootDSE information retriev al required

> Now as I understand it (and I'm happy to be corrected) an RFC cannot
> be changed but only superseded by a further RFC - presumably for
> a 'standard' RFC this means going through a complete IETF working
> group consensus/IESG approval cycle again?

You may wish to read RFC 2026 which describes the process.  In order
for an specification to become a standard, there needs to be at least
three RFCs published for it.   Once I have updated one of the LDAPv3 RFCs with
corrections and clarifications as an I-D and there is WG consensus, we go
through the two two-week last calls.

> If this is the case then IMHO we need some sort of fast-track
> process to identify, agree and document definitive changes which
> are to apply to a base IETF standard such as LDAPv3 (call it an
> Implementor's Guide?) - new RFCs should only be necessary to cover
> major changes, e.g. introduction of LDAPv4.

I disagree; this is not the IETF standards process.  There are a set of
clarifications which are needed to the existing RFCs.  Once the recommended
authentication methods document has been published as PS, I plan to discuss
a reissue of all the LDAP RFCs to remove the IESG disclaimer and add these
clarifications that have been discussed or raised on LDAPEXT (about 40).
Whether these are PS or DS RFCs is subject to discussion.

Mark Wahl, Directory Product Architect
Innosoft International, Inc.