RE: http-digest authentication comments...

At 02:05 PM 11/19/98 -0800, Paul Leach wrote:

> [...]

But, it doesn't say what a token is in the http digest draft either.  Is it
just binary data?

>> In section 2.1.2, why would the client send back the server's
>> nonce in its
>> digest response?  Is the serv-type value to be used in LDAP "ldap",
>> "ldapv3", .... or what?
>
>To be defined in ldap SASL profile. Mark Wahl has done so.
>

>> In section 2.1.3, first paragraph, third sentence, shouldn't
>> the server
>> save the cnonce provided by the client?
>
>No -- when a subsequent authentication is done, the client will provide a
>cnonce.
>

>> If I understand things right, the client's response created in Step 2,
>> could also be a request for the server to authenticate itself
>> to the client
>> in Step 3.  This is one reason why it might include a cnonce in its
>> response.  Can you include more details on this option?
>
>I don't understand this question.

As an LDAP client, I want to authenticate the LDAP server.  So, I send the
server a challenge, and it has to responde appropriately.  There doesn't
seem to be any obvious reason that http-digest would not support two way
authentication.  Normally, the client would authenticate the server prior
to authenticating itself back to the server.

Bruce

Bruce Greenblatt              bruceg@innetix.com
http://www.innetix.com/~bruceg

Disposition-notification-to: k.richardson@man05t1.wins.icl.co.uk