Re: LDAP Authentication Consensus

Everyone,

I agree with Tim and Mark. Although I still have concerns about the lack of
strong authentication in large distributed systems (being the principal
proponent of the second proposal), we do need to progress the drafts Tim
refers to here. I agree with Tim that concensus has been reached, and would
like to publically support:

 - revising draft-leach-digest-sasl-00.txt and submitting
   it as an official LDAPEXT draft
 - revising draft-ietf-ldapext-authmeth-02.txt to
   reference the digest draft and progressing it
 - revising draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-tls-03.txt
   accordingly and progressing it

regards,
John

At 09:52 AM 11/11/98 -0800, Tim Howes wrote:
>All: The Great LDAP Mandatory-to-Implement Authentication
>Debate seems to have quieted recently. The purpose of this
>message is to summarize the problem and the history and to
>put forward our view on what we see as the rough consensus
>to which the group has come.
>
>THE PROBLEM
>
>LDAPv3 must specify at least one non-cleartext password
>authentication mechanism that is mandatory to implement.
>This way, when independent vendors go off and implement
>products, they will be guaranteed to interoperate with
>better-than-cleartext-password authentication. Other
>applications can and will require other authentication
>and security methods. This work does not preclude that.
>
>THE HISTORY
>
>At the last meeting (August, in Chicago), the group agreed
>on several things:
>
>- TLS was too expensive to be a MUST.
>- TLS should proceed independently as a SHOULD.
>- Hardly anybody liked CRAM-MD5.
>- We sould evaluate Chris and Paul's revised Digest proposal
>  and adopt that if it was deemed to fix the problems with
>  CRAM-MD5.
>
>Since the August meeting, Chris and Paul have put out this
>draft:
>
>http://info.internet.isi.edu:80/in-drafts/files/draft-leach-digest-sasl-00.
txt