RE: VLV indices and multi-value attributes

Er, the any comment is wrong.  Should read;  any     (2),  - - any single value used

Sorry.  Jim

>>> "Jim Sermersheim" <JIMSE@novell.com> 10/27/98 12:12:02 PM >>>
So, the original request in this thread was to define a mechanism which allows search to return multiple (duplicate) entries based on specified multi-valued attributes.  I'm not sure if there is a clean way to represent other relational database join like behavior using the same mechanism.  I'd like to propose the following control take a shot at building a draft around it unless it seems more useful to create a more general use control.

Oh, the proper name eludes me, so far suggestions have been:
AllowDuplicateEntriesRequest
MultiValueRequest
ValueSpecificationRequest
MultipleValuesRequest

for the interim...

TransmogrificationRequest::= SEQUENCE OF SEQUENCE {
     attributeType   AttributeDescription,
     orderingRule   [0] MatchingRuleId OPTIONAL,
     modifier   [1] ENUMERATED DEFAULT all {
          min     (0),  - - smallest value used
          max     (1),  - - largest value used
          any     (2),  - - largest value used
          all     (3),  - - all values used } }

attributeType specifies that, if the attribute exists in an entry to be returned by a search operation, the modifier value is used to determine what is actually returned.  In the case of min, max, or any, only one instance of the entry is returned and the attribute holds a single value (represented by the modifier).  If all is used, one instance of the entry per value is returned.  In this case, the attribute in each entry would be a single, unique value from the original set of values in that attribute.

The 'any' modifier value, specifies that only one value be returned, and the value be picked at the servers discretion.

Although the use of this control outside the context of sorted lists seems odd, I'm thinking it shouldn't be limited to that.  In other words, this could be used stand alone with a search request.

Any comments, complaints?  I kinda want to get something rolling on this but not if it's going to meet with lots of resistance.

Thanks.  Jim