RE: VLV indices and multi-value attributes

	On Tuesday, October 20, 1998 11:51 AM Ed Reed wrote :
	> We don't have to adopt
	>a relational model for the directory, but neither need we ignore
the
	>work done there as we consider how to surface directory content
	>in useful ways for developers and consumers.

	I agree with Ed Reed that there is a potential for reuse of existing
knowledge (in research, standards, products and consumers) of the relational
model. I did not understand that Ed was suggesting developing  "Relational
access to the underlying data stored in a Directory Service", but using the
relational model only as a useful metaphor for analysis and design.

	> It leads me to believe that a sort control
	>that specifies collation sequence for the return set and a
	>cursor (paged results / vlv) control providing programs with data
positioning
	>in the return set should be separate and not munged together (an
undesireable
	>linking of two separate functions).

	I agree with Ed that these are 'two separate functions'. I see the
creation of the sorted return set (using client supplied sort control) as a
server ' view creation'  function; and the data positioning in the return
set (cursor control) as a client-server 'distribution' function. Relational
database products have used this approach for many years.

	Perhaps David Chadwick can shed some light on the status of how the
X.500 Working Group is approaching 'paged results / vlv' . Afterall, I do
believe that X.500 is another example of a potential for reuse of existing
knowledge (in research, standards, products and consumers) for the benefit
of the Directory. :-)                  --------

	Bill
-
William Aitken
waitken@geotrain.com
+1-613-736-6110
http://www.geotrain.com
Enterprise Directories: Consulting and Training
GeoTrain Corp.
2430 Don Reid Drive
Ottawa, ON
Canada K1H 1E1