RE: mapping identities RE: Compromise Authentication Proposal

Ed,

That seems rather restrictive.  I could think of situations where I would
want to allow access for users (e.g. vendors or customers) that are not in
my DIB.  What you are proposing may require me to maintain entries for such
users.

If we had chaining, it would be less of an issue, but we do not.

Cheers,              ....Erik.

Erik Skovgaard
GeoTrain Corp.
Enterprise Directory Architecture and Deployment
http://www.geotrain.com

At 15:10 09/10/98 -0600, Ed Reed wrote:
>For a variety of reasons, some implementation specific, some
foundationally conceptual, I very much want to keep any access control
policy that we wind up with internally consistent.  Doing that implies that
names which are granted rights must be DNs known (meaning resolveable) to
the LDAP namespace to which they're granted rights.

>DNs may be defined in directories not held locally (I'm presuming a
distributed LDAP environment here, not a server-exclusive one).  But those
names need to be resolveable to the policy enforcement function.

>I don't believe that access control information that specifies arbitrary
regular expression wild cards will pass the test "tell me who has what
rights here", and so I don't like those, either.

>With regard to using alternate names in ACI information - that's the same
as using aliases, it seems to me.  If you allow it, you know you'll incur
possibly horrible performance penalties for some operations (she logged in
with an alias this time, but not the same one the ACI information uses, so
the login has to get the canonicalized identity (DN) for her...which is
okay, but then the ACI should always be resolved to the canonicalized
entry, too...else how will you marry betty lou up to the aci information
that grants Elizabeth rights to do something?)

>If we want to create a system that is conceptually and internally
consistent - useful properties for any security related system - let's keep
it simple for the policy audit, evaluation, and enforcement systems.

>I take the cited paragraph to mean that if a server supports mappings of
arbitary strings to DNs, it must also support DNs which don't require such
mappings (ie, which are directly resolveable to the subject name of the
certificate).  Right?