RE: mapping identities RE: Compromise Authentication Proposal

For my two bobs worth - the fact that certificate have alt names which
is a choice of many things - does not mean that is useful. I did not
like them simply because it just adds yet more confusion to the worlds
name space. IMHO - I do not promote the use of alternates.

The directory is named by DNs - which can take many forms. Entry
attributes under a DN can have attributes which may be other name forms.
It follows if you want to find entity details fast - the name (a
sensible name - the DN) should be used. Otherwise one is wandering and
searching all the direcctories known to man to find any shape or form of
the "alternate name"".. In cert verification and general service
provisioning worlds - having many alternate names with different
syntaxes in different contexts is not really workable. Siply because it
means I need a directory with email address names, local names, numbers,
unique ids, etc.. How do these directory systems inteconnect and scale?

Its easy to promote syntax and more name fields - but that just makes
the system more of a mess and causes knowledge, context, scaling and
operational issues ... Phone numbers are good, DNs for directories
should follow the same plan. By all means use other name forms - but
dont pollute DN semantics..

regards alan

regards alan