Re: updated Signed Directory Operations Draft <draft-ietf-ldapext-sig ops-02.txt>

>      SignedOperation ::= CHOICE {
>           signbyServer   [0] BOOLEAN,
>           signatureIncluded   [1] OCTET STRING
>      }
>

>      If the SignatureIncluded CHOICE is used, then the OCTET string is
> just an S/MIME message of the multipart/signed variety, that is composed
> of a single piece, that is the signature of the directory operation.
> Multipart/signed MIME objects are defined in [3].  If the SignbyServer
> CHOICE us used, then the LDAP server creates the signature on behalf of

Bruce,

the ASN.1 construct for Signed Operation seems awkward to me. In a choice,
either parameter can be chosen, and the chosen one then takes the
appropriate values for that parameter. In your construct you effectively have 3
outcomes

i) signed by server TRUE
ii) signed by server FALSE
iii) signature included, an OCTET STRING.

I dont think this is what you intended, and your descriptive text certainly only
caters for two options, i) and iii) above, and not for ii).

May I suggest the following alternative ASN.1 constructs for you to consider

      SignedOperation ::= SEQUENCE {
         signbyServer    BOOLEAN DEFAULT FALSE,
         signatureIncluded   OCTET STRING OPTIONAL  --only present if
                                                          -- signByServer is FALSE
         }

With this construct, values would either consist of
i) a TRUE value, or
ii) an OCTET STRING

which I think is what you wanted.

Note that the tags are not needed because the two types are different and
cannot be confused by the recipient.

David

David Chadwick
IT Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 370 957 287
Email D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm