RE: Comments on draft-ietf-ldapext-trigger-01.txt

Thanks for the response - I know one has to protect system resources -
we have quite a few features in our LDAP/X.500 distributed servers that
do just that and these features work consistently over a domain of them.

I just wonder if there is anyone on this list that has any concern re
the  rate at which these new LDAP features are being invented -
particularly when those features do not resolve LDAP server
scaling/distribution issues or infact just compound the problem by
introducing "resource locking" and/or limit less state machines. ie. the
more optional features added, the worse the interoperability becomes -

It seems so obvious that the more one adds to LDAP the less "L" it
becomes and the worse it gets. Its just like baking a cake 7 times over.
One gets to the point where one has to throw it away.

But as an optimist some of these new LDAP options make LDAP V2/3 "basic
access" and/or DAP access to X.500 distributed directories a much more
pragmatic, workable and cost effective solution.

regards alan