Re: Authentication Methods for LDAP - last call (mandatory CRAM-MD5)

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998 Jeff.Hodges@stanford.edu wrote:
> 2. I am concerned that AuthMeth does not profile KERBEROS_V4 or GSSAPI SASL
> mechanisms, in particular utilizing Kerberos v5 via the GSSAPI mechanism. More
> on this below.

Is there really a need to profile them?  I think there's only a need to
profile what a SASL authorization identity means in LDAP and profile those
mechanisms which are either mandtory, recommended, or overlap existing
LDAP functionality.  The draft already does this.

I would not object to statements along the lines of "the KERBEROS_V4 SASL
mechanism is used to provide Kerberos V4 support in LDAP."  And "the
GSSAPI SASL mechanism with the Kerberos 5 GSSAPI profile is used to
provide Kerberos V5 support in LDAP."  But I don't see any compelling need
for additional mechanism profiles.

		- Chris