Re: Authentication Methods for LDAP - last call (mandatory CRAM-MD5)

> In fact, my concern isn't so much having CRAM-MD5 be the
> least-common-denominator auth mechanism -- its more what we've omitted
> entirely from profiling in AuthMeth -- e.g. Kerberos v4 and v5, in particular,
> that concerns me. I think it is more important for the larger, more customized
> enterprise deployments (such as Stanford) to have adequate provisions for
> tailoring directory client and servers to their already-deployed auth
> infrastructure than it is to worry (for them) about whether CRAM-MD5 is
> implemented by default in the tools they buy. They simply aren't going to use
> it(*).
>
> In terms of addressing this last point, I'm not sure whether it's legitimate
> or not to put something in AuthMeth like..
>
>   Client and server mplementations MUST have provisions for end-user addition
>   of support for at least these security mechanisms: <list of SASL mechs
here>.

>   [E.g. the fashion in which Netscape's client SDKs and Directory servers are
>    extensible through plug-ins.]
>
> ..but it'd be great for Stanford (if we can't get Kerberos v4 and v5 to be
> mandatory for all our vendors to implement ;-)
>
> So, I think the CRAM-MD5 thing is fine (for now), but I wonder if the doc goes
> far enough in that it doesn't profile Kerberos v4 or GSSAPI (Kerberos v5 et
> al), or make any mandates about implementation extensibility.
>
> Jeff

We could live with GSSAPI/Kerberos v5 as a mandatory mechanism :-). It
accomplishes what CRAM-MD5 tries to do plus more, but is more work to implement.
Given that CRAM-MD5 does not satisfy everyone's needs, and that a purely
certificate based mechanism has been rejected as the mandatory mechanism, would
Kerberos v5 or some other mechanism be suitable as a mandatory mechanism?

Jonathan