Authentication Methods for LDAP - last call

I have reviewed this document.  There is some useful
general information here.

I think that this document mixes three things:
  1) General tutorial (very useful to have in this complex
     area, which was what Harald's original document did).
  2) Specifications of what to do (e.g., the Authorization
     identity specification).  These documents belong
     in a protocol specification.
  3) Setting profile requirements and recommendations for
     LDAP implementation of security features.

I think a lot of work needs to be done before this is ready
to go to the IESG.   THe main thing is structural, to break
into several documents, with a functional split something
like I set out above.  I think that this split will improve
the clarity of thinking, as in some areas the
policy/implementation gets blurred in the current document.

I think that the tutorial document (the list in section 3
here) needs to tie in use of IPsec, as it is clear that
many configurations will use this for data confidentiality
and security.

I am totally opposed to mandatory support of CRAM-MD5 in
LDAP.   CRAM-MD5 requires a shared secret between client
and server.  In a large scale distributed system, where a
given client might bind to many servers, this is totally
unmagageable.   I think that the policy documents should
NOT be requiring this.  I cannot overstate how BAD I think
this choice is?

Does anyone else agree with this?   If so, please respond
to the list.

Steve