Re: userPassword question

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Mark Smith wrote:
> client.  Bottom line: clients should always present passwords in clear
> text.

Mark, you have no idea how tempted I am to use that quote in a signature
line when posting to some IETF security related WGs.  :-)  But I'll be
good.

FYI, my technical opinion is:

All clients and servers MUST implement a fast authentication mechanism
which does not send the password in the clear and does not use encryption.
All clients and servers SHOULD implement an authentication mechanism which
sends a clear text password under strong encryption.  All clients and
servers MUST be configurable to never send or accept an unencrypted clear
text password.

I expect the argument between these two philosophies will be very
interesting.

		- Chris