RE: userPassword question

> An application which wishes to store an encrypted password
> SHOULD use an
> attribute description distinct from "userPassword".  Reusing
> userPassword
> for another syntax without preserving its semantics would break
> interoperability.  One possible approach is to define a new attribute

Yes, I was reluctant to do this with RFC 2307, but (mainly for
interoperability with Netscape's Directory Server) I went with prefixing
hashed values with {crypt} (or {sha} or {md5}) and maintaining the
userPassword attributes. Nonetheless, using attribute subtypes (see section
5.3 of RFC 2307) is probably a good idea at some stage.

-- Luke