Re: userPassword question

Hi

Bob Bick wrote:

>  >From a newbie...
>
> When I retrieve an LDAP attribute value for the "userPassword"
> attribute, the attribute value appears to be encrypted (probably a
> good thing).

Where is it documented in LDAP that a password is encrypted when I getit
back from an ldap Server?
Is it a functionality of the LDAP-Server to encrypt the Password ?

If I have the Access rights to read the password
I should be able to see it decrypted, or the method to decrypt have been

described.
How can I synchronize my ldap database with another LDAP server or
Directory
server.

Helmut

> However, I would like to compare the userPassword with the actual
> password.
>
> My environment:
>
> Michigan LDAP server running on Solaris
> LDAP server is being accessed through JNDI (Java) interface and Sun's
> LDAP service provider (i.e. JNDI wraps LDAP client)
>
> NOTE: JNDI does not support an ldap_compare_s() capability.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated,
> Bob

begin:          vcard
fn:             Helmut  Volpers
n:              Volpers;Helmut
adr:            Otto-Hahn-Ring 6;;;Munich;;81730;Germany
email;internet: Helmut.Volpers@mch.sni.de
title:          Directory Server Architect
tel;work:       +49-89-63646713
tel;fax:        +49-89-63645860
tel;home:       +49-89-1576588
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0