Re: Names of Object Identifiers

> In general, when an OID is encountered it is not possible to determine
> what sort of thing the OID represents, although you sometimes can.

OIDs are unique identifiers.  A single OID should not correspond to both
an object class and an attribute.

A string description is not unique.  Different parties may unbenownst to
each other register or list schema definitions which use the same strings
for different purposes, as LDAP does not require a single global schema
listing service.

Could you provide me with an example in which an OID or string is encountered
in protocol where there is insufficient context to determine whether this
represents an Attribute, Object Class, Matching Rule, Extension,
Control, or something else?

Mark Wahl, Directory Product Architect
Innosoft International Inc. / Critical Angle Inc.