RE: ldap PICS

	Thats the theory of interoperability - But when the specs get to
the SHOULDs and the MAYs  - they generally dont.

	 Its also hard to to get a document in text form with these
Musts and Mays and Shoulds  and say to all how one completely or
partially implements it. Tabes are much more precise - and with precise
tables one can precisely define the engineering. Without them it tends
to be imprecise. Notheing is perfect though - its just that a PICs and
ISP has more precision for more precise engineering.
	However, one does not need precision if one is just adding bits.
I could never comprehend how one can believe that a text document
randomly scattered with a few compliant keywords makes precise
engineering .. so please do advise. Could I build a commercial contract
on such text?

	This 747 MUST have 4 engines and SHOULD have steel wheels but
MAY have Wooden ones.... what is that all about - commercially ....I
wont fly it.!!

	More than Grumble

> The fact that people sell products with conformance claims that are
> simply manufactured out of thin air is a fact of life for both ISO
> standards
> and IETF standards; in the ISO case, there are people who are making a
> living testing some aspects of conformance and issuing certificates
> thereof.
> This MAY be to the advantage of the industry. Or it may not.

	But now some people think that PICS should be performed for IETF
LDAP products. In addition these people  are just demonstrating their
belief that software engineering - for the purposes of system
interoperation - should be thoroughly tested - rather than just throw
some wooden wheels on a 747.
	I welcome people like that in the IT industry - the more the
better - Better go now in case my untested mailer crashes again..

	regards alan