RE: Transaction/Locking with LDAP

One of the features we have is a  DISP client which is script driven in
our DSA so that a script can be built that sucks via DAP/DSP/LDAP
Searches (and filters) any entries from a directory system and then
builds a DISP PDU for a "transaction" onto another DSA. (I suppose one
can do this for the same DSA).

I fundamentally believe that one can easily stick " a transaction ID" on
a sequence of random protocol operations - but when it comes to
implementation robustness - that is known not the thing to do.

As said LDAP with transactions means that its spec must say that
Searches are illegal if transaction controls are set.

It also means that implementations (both client and server) are robust
and not open to interrrupts/other operations  during the "transaction".

For those who want to go down this path - what the real test is get a
LDAP server and some clients - set some transactions up - say a dozen or
so LDAP update/delete/rename operations in each transaction. Run the
system flat out and randomly pull the power plug on the server and
clients and see what happens re Client recovery, Server recovery and DIB
integrity. If the system does not survive - why have transactions.

Perhaps all those LDAP server customers will do this as part of the
acceptance and payment tests for the products.
We have tested our system this way (pulling the plug) and because it  is
RDB based, it works and is back on line within 10s of seconds.
Transactions in LDAP are good if they are implemented in a Robust way -
which some how I doubt that can be the case. But that is open to others.

However, X.500, RDB s with online switching, commitment services and
alternate DSAs and DSP route redundancy and multimaster - via DB tools
replication and the use of DISP, etc  some how has our vote for system
robustness.

its no good putting such a theoretical feature in a protocol spec  if
the implementation of it makes it a mockery.

regards alan