RE: Signed Directory Operations

Oh dear!

	I think the misconception is in your court on this
one........................

	This has me worried. ie a Delete that does not delete. This must
be similar to some applications with bugs that dont release memory when
they should and then go bang.
	So are you saying that LDAP definition MUST specify that its
delete operation does NOT delete but does a "rename" to put the entry
into off line mode - just because the entry may or may not carry an
audit log. When I search any entries will these audit logs get searched
also -  that will do a lot for performance wont it...., when I read
entries and ask for all attributes - do I get all the audit logs back as
well... that will do a lot for performance.. . Do I now have to specify
- "no audit logs" please in every interrogation response.

	When I rename entries or move them do the audit logs stay with
the obituary entry or do they go with the renamed one.

	When I delete an entry and then add it again and then delete it
what happens - does a big obituary list form.

	Or when I actually delete anything like an attribute value -
does it still stay there.
	What happens if the entry contains attributes which are in fact
mail boxes, video, web pages, voice........do these remain  stored.

	What about subentries as per X.500 - do these have audit logs
also.

	When I replicate entries do the audit logs get transferred and
if multi master is used are these merged in any way?

	Do I have to configure the server the structure rules set for
every object to permit audit logs to be inserted in every entry.

	Do I have to configure each directory entry as to audit trace
levels?

	There are servers and DSAs out there (not ours) that cashe every
thing into memory -  and I have never seen a directory server with 100
Gigs of RAM !

	As said different people have different views - I can just hear
the customers now. We licenced this LDAP server for 100,000 entries and
within a week it all filled up with obituaries! went slow and died. But
then we bought an LDAP accessed, RDB based X.500 system and we can use
it for our business.

	Audit logs for a server need to be seperate from the directory
user information provided by that server simply because one generally
wants to trace operations and users for the server with details of the
entries they accessed..These logs can be directory entries in their own
right - but administered under a management tree/area. Its wrong to have
in each entry, where there may be 10,000,000 in a big DSA, a list of
10,000,000 users that accessed entry. That becomes unmanageable and
polutes the DIB (or maybe one uses the LDAP obituary entry management
army:-) )

	In a military environment we use a term called covert channels -
it means that there is amechanism for information to be passed within
protocols or information blocks "invisibly" that may provide a recipient
additional information which they are not entitled too. Having a DIB
with obit entries all over the place and not know about them - and
possibly being able to replicate them for instance, strikes me as a
massive covert channel.. I am sure Defence will be pleased to know that
a Delete operation does not delete.

	Is anyone doing a trust model for LDAP and LDAP servers with all
this "security" stuff, and the dependency to replicate everything to
everywhere...

	 LDAP can keep adding such inconsistent, unworkable, inpractical
features and mechanisms - and all that will do is kill LDAP off -  Most
people dealing with directories are already coming to this conclusion.

	regards alan