Re: Naming of ACLs, Replication etc

Hi Steve,

One of the goals of this group is to develop a standard access
control model for LDAP. Under this charter, it is very likely
that anything this group produces in this area will be titled
"LDAP Access Control Model" or something pretty darn close.
Asking to keep LDAP out of the title is like asking the group to
change its charter. While it's possible to have that discussion
again, we already had it once and came to consensus. What new
information or argument do you have that could cause us to talk
about changing our charter? Keeping LDAP out of the title also
does not solve the problem. I think it will only cause more
confusion, not less.

On the subject of multiple access control models, I agree there
will be multiple models around, perhaps indefinitely. And we
must address this so, for example, replication does not occur
between servers with different models. But that's not an
argument for not developing a standard model.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting you, but it sounds like you'd rather
have the X.500 ACL model compete with other models in the market
than try to get the group to agree that the X.500 model should
be adopted as the standard one. I'd rather we at least have the
debate first. What's been missing from this debate with
respect to X.500 is more people like you - knowledgeable
advocates of the technology who can make a coherent complete
proposal about what it means to use X.500 as the model, how
it satisfies the requirements, where it falls short, etc.
The input we've had so far has not been in the form of a
proposal.

I see no evidence that having standard LDAP access control
is  controversial. You and other X.500 vendors most of all
should not find this controversial. What seems to be
controversial is whether LDAP will adopt the X.500 model
or not. The way to fix this is for you and other X.500
fans to get involved in the group and make your case for
the technology. Giving up on standardizing something just
because you fear there may be controversy over which model
is selected or designed, or that it might not be the
technology you advocate is no answer.
    -- Tim