RE: LDAP ACLs

And fo my two bobs worth -
that is why the ACLs in X.500 permit access definitions which tie users
to objects and one can arrange a User/Object(entry) mix in their
definition.
As we all move to the object oriented paradigm for document, icons,
directory entries, files and functions, should we not have the acl that
applies to objects/users as the common denominator.

Now below the abstract definition of ACLs, is the implementation which
can be rules based, apply asn.1 directly , use the trusted OS, etc,

I still do not see the issue in that one ACI specification which is
abstracted by ASN.1 (hence the A) as per X.500 cannot be applied to
cover all objects  and map to the various real objects and their lower
ACDFs.

If one has used many ACL processes in one's O/S  and its not quite
object oriented - I think it is wrong to propoagate those into a
"standard"..
We can put files, images, voice, HTML.... in our X.500 and protect them
with X.500 ACLs - we can even protect other servers that connect to us.

One format please and the ACI definition X.500 works - is object
oriented and if implemented correctly works well.

regards alan