Re: LDAP ACLs

Paul,

Without saying it wouldn't be useful to have the capability
you describe, I think it is fair to say that your proposal is
well beyond the scope of anything this group should focus on.

I.e.,

	i.  If such a Universal ACL registry existed, it would
	    be fair to say that LDAP should be made to use it.
	    So, when you've defined, standardized and deployed
	    it (*), come back to LDAPEXT++ and make that proposal.

	ii. If you want to say that LDAP is not just for people
	    anymore, but can be used successfully to solve access
	    issues for all information objects on a machine (as
	    you've laid out:  file systems, registries, etc), then
	    set up a separate initiative to demonstrate the applicability
	    of LDAP for the task, etc.

But, I don't think it's appropriate to hold up/expand immeasurably  the
development of extensions necessary to carry out the basic purpose for
which LDAP was developed (i.e., whitepages) because you see a particular
application for the protocol.

Leslie.

(*) note the order of operations...

  "_Be_                                           Leslie Daigle
             where  you
                          _are_."                 Bunyip Information Systems
                                                  (514) 875-8611
                      -- ThinkingCat              leslie@bunyip.com