Re: draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-txn-00.txt More ..

Ed Reed wrote:

> Can we limit the discussion of LDAP transactions to making it so that a client speaking to a single update-able replica (master or otherwise) of the object can coordinate, via 2 phase commit semantics and protocols, the update of the directory with other XA-fluent databases/transactions?  And NOT attempt to address, for now, the nesting of transactions through the directory to all of it's replicas and/or downstream event notification consumers (and audit facilities)?

Sounds like a good idea. While I've heard of XA, and discovered that Netscape
even makes a product which uses it, I don't know in what form I could
touch and feel it. Is it a network protocol or an API or something else ?
Would adding a "prepare" operation to the LDAP transaction protocol
be sufficient to guarantee XA interoperability ?