Re: draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-txn-00.txt More ..

Alan Lloyd wrote:

>         ie. Is the solution to the transaction problem a product
> feature/operational process issue. And that no matter what one does
> with
> LDAP or DAP, one can never deal with all the transaction / operational
>
> and scaling issues at the protocol level.

I think that this is an important point, and one
upon which I suspect we disagree. I think it
is worthwhile standardizing such things, even
if it limits the implementation choices in servers.
After all, protocols always introduce some
constraints onto an implementation.
Having sweated blood building directory
applications, where the important things
like management are not standardized
(or even documented), my opinion on
this is strong !