Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapext-acl-model-00.txt

Some comments

1. It is unclear (however I think discussed @ ietf) if the acl list apply to the
subtree
    or not ?
2.  Page 6 -- You talk about the case where not all the SSAI is not send to client
     if the authentication system validated by client is not trusted ?  In that
case should the
     server send any information at all or the server should should refuse  to do
     any operation.

3. Section 2.4 No ssai appear in more than one access control list. ?
    Why that restriction ?   In one case it is nice to do a union of acls but  this
might
     become a burden to the acl creator as s/he has go through all the acls for
that
     object. For example, an application may create a temp acl do some
     operation and then delete that acl. the client doesn't have to make sure that
      an acl already exits for that ssai.

4. section 2.4 A group maybe a collection of static subjects or dynamic subjects

5. section 3.3  page 11 line 1 -- Add "access-id" as it is referred sometime later
    and it's not clear if it means that.

6. Section 3.4.2 page 13
     <subjectsecurityAttribytevalue> Why it has to be a DN. I would like more
     flexibility i.e. I should be able to define a filter  or something to a
select  based
     on certain criteria.

7.   section 4.1.1 -- The word "aclEntry" very much confuses (to me at least) with
      a real entry.  I understand it as an attribute of an object. A different word
like
      "acllist" or ... might be more clearer

8. section 4.1.2 "aclowners have full permission to that object". If A can create
an
     ACL on object O, does that in directly gives A as the administrative owner of
O.
     If A and B created 2 aclEntries on object O. Since A and B are now owner of
     object O, can A modify B's aclEntry ? If not why not.

    I  think that aclowner means owner of that aclEntry.

9. section 4.1
    Are  "aclOwner" and "aclEntry" are multi-values attribute ?
   If Yes,  then it may be difficult to figure out who is the owner ? It might be
   a better idea to include the aclowner name  somewhere in the aclentry. The only
   other way to figure out is via indexing the values.
   If NO ? then how would I create multiple acls for that entry with different
ssai.

10. Section 4.1.3 -- Let's say I am an ISP serving multiple domains
      (ex: coke & pepsi). Since attributes are statically grouped, an attribute
      may be in a sensitive class to coke but not for pepsi.
      Also, if the Coke decides to change an attr to a different class, then it has

      side effects to pepsi users.

     It was not clear to me what problem are we trying to solve by  grouping
attributes
     in classes ?   I think the finer granularity of able to create acl on  a
single attribute is
     a better choice.

11. type: page 16 line #3 "controlling"

12. Page 16: It's not clear what the permission "Use"  is for . An example might be

      better

13. I would like for support for extension of access permissions. It  may not be
      inter operable but we should have that flexibility to define your own
      specific access permissions.

14. section 4.2  typo's (should be)
                   aclowner: cn=IETF,c=us#access-id#...
                    aclEntry: ...#cn=Eveybody#...

15. section 4.3

        Why <accesslist> has to <objectaccessclas> and <attributeaccessclass>
        has to be 2 different definition ? I understand that one is applicable to
         the whole object and one is for an attribute.

16. Section 4.5  Not very clear for a separate syntax for the LDIF. Can you put
     the LDIF format  of the example  used in section 4.4

17.  Back for a moment.
       - group contain subjects
       - subject's ssai may contain group names
      - object's  "aclOwner' and "aclEntry" may contain group name

      Now if group is dropped and renamed (similarly DN), we need to talk about
      the referential integrity part. This become much more important as now the
name
      is all over the place.

18. I didn't see ( sorry if I missed) how I would support  access to an object
based on
     the authentication type ( Strong vs simple  or  base don the SASL plugin)

19. ANy thought on support for timeofday or dayofweek ?

20.  Although in the requirements doc, we discussed about acls based on
       ip and DNS  (section s6). It says SHOULD NOT. If one want to support it,
       then how he would s/he ?

      I think aclEntry syntax need to  support extension which may not be
     inter-operable but make sense.  Without that support if one want to support
     19 and/or 20, the current model doesn't provide that flexibility.  In general,
we
      need to provide a flexibility to be able to extend the  the model  like the
controls
      in V3.  This  I think  is a MUST.

That's all for now.
/prasanta