RE: Search over referrals (Re: LAST CALL: draft-ietf-ldapext-ref erral-00.txt)

	Its just the way in which one uses the DB that makes the
difference - on can store objects as rows, etc or one can be smarter.
	If one is smarter then one can determine what one has locally
and if one has to fire of a distributed search - I assume LDAP servers
do not do distribution so that is not a problem to them.

	Eg single server  - get me three things of type x in 1,000,000
entries, server has one thing of type x - server returns one x..
	distributed servers - get me three things of type x in 3,000,000
entries, server a has 1 x - and must fire off searches to server b and
c, etc. eg the database design is critical to distributed performance.

	 LDAP does not do this so no worries eh!

> Now: "directory info into filespace" ?
	This was meant to say that RDBs are used for corporate info and
that directories will underpin corporate systems - however some
direcories use good old filespace - as they just deal with mail
addresses.

	Its an integrity issue re how the directory is applied. in the
business.

> I need that one decoded please.
> Do you mean that folk are moving away from
> using raw volumes for RDB's storage ?
> Or someone ships a directory product which
> stores each entry as a separate file ?
> Or what ?

	regards alan