Re: Search over referrals (Re: LAST CALL: draft-ietf-ldapext-ref erral-00.txt)

Alan Lloyd wrote:

> Thanks for the question.
> We do not distribute indices/indexes - no need.

OK, different discussion.

> The DXserver design is subject to patents re the rdb design. Its a
> question of using primary keys and logical indexes for the X.500 stuff

<snip...RDB advocacy comments>

> directory info into filespace ie. Lost all the effort by the global
> vendors of RDBs - which are essential for large scale, high integrity
> business (distributed) information systems.

Eh ?

Directory Vendors are free to use whatever database
technology they please in their products. Heck, we even
designed ours so the database technology can be changed
by the customer. But I'm struggling to see how this
affects distributed search, and even more what it has
to do with LDAP ! I need some more education.

Now: "directory info into filespace" ?
I need that one decoded please.
Do you mean that folk are moving away from
using raw volumes for RDB's storage ?
Or someone ships a directory product which
stores each entry as a separate file ?
Or what ?