Re: RFC 2251 considered harmful

Hello Steve,

I am fairly new to the ldap lists and have not spoken earlier.
However I now have a comment on your reply to Ed's comments.

> As you point out, use of critical extensions does allow vendors a
> mechanism to lock in server choice.  However, such vendors would
> simply do the same using propietary mechanisms in any event.  All
> vendors like to achieve customer lock in, to increase sales.  Although
> I think that the mechanism is good, it will help some marketing
> departments to promote proprietary extensions as "open".

I don't understand this argument. How does it follow from the fact
that vendors usually tend towards proprietary solutions that the
IETF must help them? Where would the web be if the W3C took this view
(and yes, one could argue that they have, lately done precisely this,
the effects of which could also be argued to be obvious)? Perhaps a
"responsible uses of CRITICALity" document should be produced.

	Best Regards

Leif Johansson				Phone: +46 8 164541
Department of Mathematics		Fax  : +46 8 6126717
Stockholm University 			email: leifj@matematik.su.se

    <This space is left blank for quotational and disclamatory purposes.>