Scrolling vs Paging (Re: LAST CALL: draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-simplepaged-02.txt)

I have a more general comment about this functionality.  There are two
proposals on the table in this area.

1) Simple Paged Results.

2) Scrolling View (Dave Boreham)

My initial take on the Scrolling View spec is very positive.  It seems to me
that this provides what a client needs.  Basically, it will allow the client
to present a large result with a "scroll bar" type view and to efficiently
jump around the result set.  It seems to me that this is the sort of
interface that is epected these days.

I would argue that for an interactive directory client, simply optimizing
paging linearly down a set of results is just totally inadequate.  Scrolling
View seems to give a much better client model (albeit rather trickier to
implement server side).

For more system oriented things, I can't see any real benefit in either
protocol.  LDAP search gives streaming of results, which can optimize bulk
transfer efficiency.

My proposal would be:

1) Throw simple paged results in the bin.  It is simply inadequate for
modern needs.

2) Get working on Scrolling View.

I do not think it will be in the communities interests to have two competing
standard track functions in this area.

Steve Kille