Re: Transactions in LDAP

At 06:05 PM 8/29/97 -0700, Uppili Srinivasan wrote:
>I remember there were some discussions about supporting transactions in
LDAP and there

usriniva@us.oracle.com
>200 Oracle Pkwy    |Fax:   (415)506-7430
>Redwood Shores     |X.400: c=us; a=telemail; p=oracle; o=oragate;
s=usriniva
>CA 94065           |
>___________________|_______________________________________________________
_

A BOF on 'transactions in the LDAP' was held Wed Aug 13.  Companies
participating were IBM, Cisco, Microsoft, Novell, and a couple others
(I apologize for not writing down a complete list).

We discussed several approaches to providing transactons in the LDAP
as well as what is required.

The consensus was to keep it simple (no requirement for 2-phase commit).
The proposal on the table is to add an ldap extension (could be an ldap
control or ldap protocol extension or something else) for begin/end/abort
transaction.  Three scenarios were identified and these will be used to
evaluate the solution:
  client-server:  treat several ldap operations as a transaction (single
			server)
  client-server: above case extended to multi-server for transactional
			support in the ldap in support of intelligent networks
			and routers
  server-server: replication cases

There is a transaction internet protocol (tip) working group.  We examined
their work which is basically server-server only (tp monitor to tp monitor)
and not interested in defining anything more; hence decided to ignore
their work since not applicable for ldap needs.

Cisco volunteered to co-author a draft with IBM in this ldap transactions
area.

If I misstated anything or omitted anything, those of you who were there
please
feel free to chime in.

Ellen Stokes
IBM Austin