attirbute collections

One of the items which was deemed as 'needs further discussion' during the
sessions was the idea of a collection. There was much concern over the
interoperability of collections. The following is a proposal for how
collections could be defined in an interoperable manner.

Collections of attributes would be described by an object in the directory
with a particular objectclass 'attributeCollection'.
The objectclass has two mandator objects : a collectionName, and
memberAttributes.  This is similar to the group concept which contains
memberDNs instead of attribute Names. Any attribute listed in
memberAttribute must be defined in the schema.

          class attributeCollection
               MUST (
                    collectionName       printableString single-valued
/* name of the collection */
                    memberAttributes     printableString  multi-valued
/* name of attrs in the collection */
                    )
               MAY (<pick some that make sense>)

This class is instantiated in the DIT and can then be used within the ldap
ACI by using the collection name. If one gives permission to the
collection, one is essentially giving that permission to all attributes
within the collection.

There are several issues that would need further definition; some of which
have already been mentioned.

The first is whether an attribute can belong to more than one collection,
and if so, what is the behavior.  My instinct is to treat this in the same
manner in which we treat the different subject Types. So, the more specific
overrides the less specific. Therefore, if an attribute is specified, and
the attribute belongs to a collection, the attribute permissions are used
instead of the collection permissions. If the attribute is not specifically
listed within the aci, then the collection permissions are used. If the
attribute exists in more then one collection, the permissions are unioned,
with the same grant - deny precedence rules which we have already
discussed.

The second issue I see is in using the collectionName within the ldapACI.
The problem that could arise is that this attribute name is not necessarily
unique. Any enforcement of uniqueness would be at an application level, not
the directory level.  The way to force this at the directory would be the
use collectionName as the RDN value, and state that collections must be
defined in a specific location; for instance, they must be children of the
schema node which is enforced in that portion of the DIT.  Therefore,
because the attribute is used as the RDN value, uniqueness can be
guaranteed.

Comments / suggestions welcome !

Thanks,

Debora Byrne
Manager Secure Way Directory Config / User Interface
INet: djbyrne@us.ibm.com
Phone: (512)838-1930 ( T/L 678 )