authmeth - add security consideration for passwords in the clear?

> Roger Harrison wrote:
>
> Section 6.2 - I guess this is the best we can do, but returning
> confidentialityRequired is a bit like closing the barn gate after the
> horses have already left. I.e., the user's password has already gone
> over the wire in the clear. I don't know if this is the appropriate
> place to make policy recommendations, but it might make sense to
> recommend that if the correct password was given, it be
> flagged/expired/invalidated and the user forced to set a new password
> upon authenticating successfully with proper protections in place. (I
> suppose it is inappropriate for this doc, since the LDAP password policy
> mechanism is still a work in progress?)

This seems like a reasonable concern.  I'm wondering if a little more detail in this security consideration might be warranted. Suggested wording:

The server returns a resultCode of confidentialityRequired for the operation (i.e. name/password Bind with password value, SASL Bind transmitting a password value in the clear, add or modify including a userPassword value, etc.), even if the password value is correct.  Server implementations may also want to provide policy mechanisms to invalidate or otherwise protect accounts in situations where a server detects that a correct password for an account has been transmitted in the clear.

Comments?

> --
>    -- Howard Chu
>    Chief Architect, Symas Corp.  http://www.symas.com