authmeth-16 notes

Section 3.1.5 is definitely better. A couple of minor points:
rule #3, "leftmost RDN" is probably a bad choice. "least significant RDN" might be better.

X.500 never specified a left/right display order for DNs, it only defines them as a sequence in descending order from the root down. It was common practice with X.500 tools to display DNs in left-to-right order, like a filesystem: /rootrdn/nextrdn.../lastrdn and it was common for packages like (older versions of) OpenSSL to use this order as well when displaying DNs in X.509 certificates. While LDAP specifies a right-to-left order for DNs, people working with these older certificate management tools may still be presented with X.500-style DNs. This ordering ambiguity still causes a lot of confusion for users and administrators. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to add an explanatory note about this point to Appendix A.

More minor stuff:

3.1.5.2 is missing a word in the last sentence. Probably should be "A match occurs *if* the reference ..."

There are other missing articles/infinitives as well; I haven't finished reading yet.
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com