Invalidated Authorization State (WAS: authmeth-15 notes)

>>> Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> 09/22/05 4:26 pm >>>

> > 4.3. Invalidated Authorization State

> >    The server may invalidate the existing authorization state at any

> >    time, e.g. if an established security layer between the client and

> >    server has unexpectedly failed or been compromised.  A resultCode of

> >    strongerAuthRequired may indicate that such a condition exists.  In

> >    practice, the strongerAuthRequired resultCode means that the client

> >    needs to bind to (re)establish a suitably strong authorization state

> >    before the server will attempt to perform the requested operation.

> >    In order to permit clients to establish such an authorization state,

> >    servers should not respond to Bind, Unbind, and StartTLS requests

> >    with the stongerAuthRequired resultCode.

> When was this decided?  Copied from my message

> <http://www.openldap.org/lists/ietf-ldapbis/200503/msg00006.html>,

>   The last I remember, we gave up on having invalidated associations

>   return a result to a rejected request: thread 'Result code for

>   invalidated associations', 2004.  The whole mess about them doing so

>   just got too ugly.  Instead, if a request is rejected because the

>   association is invalidated, just send Notice of Disconnection and

>   terminate the session.  I don't remember which result code we ended

>   up with; I think that issue came up in several threads.

> I'm sure it turned out ot be reasons why no result code was suitable for

> not going to dig that up now.  Of course these reasons may have been

> wrong...

I reviewed the email thread Hallvard mentions above both before publishing authmeth-15 and again today. I see a lot of discussion regarding possibilities for dealing with this, but I don't see any clear conclusion that the proper behavior is to send a Notice of Disconnection. I would appreciate help from WG members as to whether I am not simply not seeing the conclusions on this or if we still have an open issue here.

> ‑‑

> Hallvard

Roger