Re: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-15.txt

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

This message initiates a LDAPBIS Working Group Last Call on the
document:

Title: LDAP: Authentication Methods and Connection Level Security Mechanisms
Editor: R. Harrison
Filename: draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-15.txt

The purpose of this WG Last Call is to ensure that the Working
Group has achieved consensus that the document is suitable for
publication on the Standards Track.

Excuse me for bringing the following issue so late. There is some text about DIGEST-MD5 in draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-15.txt that bothers me:

>10. SASL DIGEST-MD5 Authentication Mechanism
>
>   Support for subsequent authentication ([DIGEST-MD5] section 2.2) is
>   OPTIONAL in clients and servers.

The sentence seem to be trying to update definition of DIGEST-MD5 SASL mechanism. This goes against "a protocol profile SHOULD NOT attempt to amend the definition of mechanisms" statement in the SASL document.
If there is an interoperability problem due to the lack of the quoted sentence, then perhaps the DIGEST-MD5 document is a better place to address it.

Alexey