authmeth-15: mandatory-to-implement strong authentication

There was considerable discussion at the IETF 63 meeting regarding recent research into challenge-response protocols (such as DIGEST-MD5) being vulnerable to off-line dictionary attacks (see http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/05aug/minutes/sasl.html and http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/05aug/slides/apparea-4/sld1.htm ).

One proposal was to recommend performing challenge-response authentication over TLS-protected connections.  If we moved this dirction, then requiring the use of DIGEST-MD5 security layers seems redundant.

What effect, if any, does this have on our use of DIGEST-MD5 as the mandatory-to-implement strong authentication mechanism for LDAP?

Roger