Re: small inconsistency in http://www.openldap.org/ietf/ldapbis/dn.txt

At 01:50 AM 7/12/2005, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>The SHOULD from Section 2.4 has been removed (was in RFC 2253, but gone in the latest I-D). Is that the SHOULD you are referring to?

In section 1:
  Section 2 details the RECOMMENDED algorithm for converting a DN
  from its ASN.1 structured representation to a string.

> <getting slightly off track>
>I'm not sure why the SHOULD was removed (nor do I know why the suggestion was there in the first place). It seems useful to separate the reasons for using numeric oids in the attributeType from the reasons for using the hexstring/BER form in the attributeValue.

All of Section 2 is considered a SHOULD.  The key MUST is:
   While other documents may define other algorithms for
   converting a DN from its ASN.1 structured representation to
   a string, all algorithms MUST produce strings which adhere
   to the requirements of Section 3.

Kurt