Re: Attribute subtyping, clarification request

On 19-May-05, at 9:22 PM, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

Not sure I am parsing this correctly, but basically, displayName;lang-es;lang-fr is a subtype of displayName;lang-es displayName;lang-fr displayName

Yes, but a single-valued attributetype can still be present with multiple tags, as long as no two assertions have the exact same tags. Consequently, an entry with:

displayName: Joe English
displayName;lang-es: Jose Castellano
displayName;lang-fr: Jo Francais
displayName;lang-es;lang-fr: J Roman

would be valid

So, if (displayName;lang-es;lang-fr=*) is TRUE then logically
(displayName;lang-es=*), (displayName;lang-fr=*) and
(displayName=*) would also be TRUE.

And displayName;lang-es;lang-fr
may be returned if the client requested any of the attribute
descriptions listed above (or all user attributes).

Right, that was the question. So although displayName is a single-valued attribute type, a search request might return several different displayName's for the same DN, even if it specified that the attributetype to return is displayName;lang-es. Presumably it would not even be legitimate for the server to only return the exact match.

In other words, if I'm writing a client, can I trust SINGLE VALUE to mean single valued? My conclusion is that I cannot, and that the client needs logic to figure out which of the returned displayName's is the one to actually display.

I can live with it; I just wanted to be clear on the spec.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Rici