RE: Protocol: control combinations

At 05:52 PM 5/19/2005, Ramsay, Ron wrote:
>Way-hay-hay. I didn't see any consensus for ignoring non-critical controls. I'm certainly not in favour of it.

On 15 April, I asked Jim to post a summary of changes he
thinks are supported by WG consensus for "brief discussions".
I think Jim's note below can best be regarded stating what he
thinks the WG consensus to be in regards to this issue.  After
review of those discussions, I (as Chair) have to agree with
him.

For clarity, I believe that WG consensus is that servers may
ignore recognized non-critical controls attached to applicable
(per control specification) request in performing the
operation.  That is, the server is not obligated to return an
error in cases where it is unwilling or unable to make use of
a recognized non-critical control attached to an applicable
request, it may instead perform the operation ignoring any
or all non-critical controls.

Kurt, as LDAPBIS co-chair