Re: draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol - controls

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
At 08:49 PM 3/31/2005, Jim Sermersheim wrote:

I believe the broad interpretation of "appropriate" leads to far
more interoperability problems than the narrow view.

I'm glad to see that you don't believe a control can be partially
applied.

This, I think, needs to be made crystal clear.

A control which results in modification of multiple objects must not be partially applied, but what about a control that modifies the behaviour of a query? A control requesting extra information from each entry in a search result, for example a control to reproduce the behaviour of the modifyRightsRequest in a DAP read operation, may be partially applied, without having any serious implications. To what extent should the allowance to partially apply a control be regulated by the specification controlling the infrastructure, i.e. [protocols], versus the control specification? For example, a control specification for a tree delete control should include a discussion of considerations relating to application of the control in a distributed environment or across different contexts, regardless of what [protocols] may say.