Re: draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol - controls

I find this comment from Steve Kille interesting:
  Some extensions can safely be ignored without loss of service.
  Others will simply not work if they are not understood and
  need to be rejected.   The criticality mechanism allows this
  to be communicated.  This is particularly important in a
  store and forward messaging environment, or where
  directory requests are chained.
  <http://www.openldap.org/lists/ietf-ldapext/199802/msg00088.html>

I think the key point I and Howard are making is that by not
ignoring a recognized and applicable (per the specification)
non-critical control one cannot service, one causes an
unnecessary and inappropriate loss of service.

The language in RFC 2251 was:
   If the server recognizes the control type and it is appropriate for
   the operation, the server will make use of the control when
   performing the operation.

I think it natural for implementors interpret "appropriate
for the operation" in a broad manner, and I think it clear that
many client and server implementors have interpreted "appropriate
for the operation" in a broad manner.  Narrow interpretations,
such as viewing the language as a mandatory requirement
for servers to "make use" of applicable controls they recognize
leads to idiotic behavior.

For instance, I could code an LDAP server to "recognize"
every known request control but not support any of them.
Under the narrow interpretation taken by the WG, my server would
be obligated to turn unwillingToPerform (or some other
appropriate result code).  I do not believe this is what was
intended by designers of LDAP.  But regardless of their intent,
the interpretation taken by the WG will lead to significant
interoperability problems and hinder development/deployment
of distributed directory services.

What I think needs to be clarified is the above text is that
the server is to perform the operation, the whole operation,
as extended by the control.  It cannot perform only part of
the operation as extended by the control.  This, of course,
has some implications on distributed systems, but I argue
that the server ability to ignore applicable non-critical
controls is key to making such systems work in face of
extensions...  which is what I think Steve was hinting at
in is 1998 ASID/LDAPEXT post.

-- Kurt