Re: street (was: more schema-08 notes)

I agree with John.

RFC2256's description: "This attribute contains the physical address of the object to which the entry corresponds, such as an address for package delivery", is incorrect.

2256 states that the street attribute can hold information required for package delivery. However, X.520 makes the distinction that 'Postal Address' contains the information for physical delivery and that 'Street Address' simply contains a subset of this information.

Since consistency with X.500 is important, I will re-enforce this in the new revision of User Schema.

Andrew.

John McMeeking wrote:

RFC 2256 truncated the X.520 definitions quite a bit, and as a result I believe you are misusing these attributes. The RFC (and the draft replacement) does refer to the original documents, but ...

Maybe we should incorporate more of the text from X.520 (or other sources)?

From X.520 1993:

5.3.4 Street Adress

The Street Address attribute type specifies a site for the local
distribution and physical delivery in a postal address, i.e.
the street name, place, avenue, and the house number. When used as a
component of a directory name, it identifies the
street address at which the named object is located or with which it is
associated in some other important way.

An attribute value for Street Address is a string, e.g. "Arnulfstraße 60".

5.6.1 Postal Address

The Postal Address attribute type specifies the address information
required for the physical delivery of postal
messages by the postal authority to the named object.

An attribute value for Postal Address will be typically composed of
selected attributes from the MHS Unformatted
Postal O/R Address version 1 according to CCITT Rec. F.401 and limited to 6
lines of 30 characters each, including
a Postal Country Name. Normally the information contained in such an
address could include an addressee's name,
street address, city, state or province, postal code and possibly a Post
Office Box number depending on the specific
requirements of the named object.

5.6.2 Postal Code

The Postal Code attribute type specifies the postal code of the named
object. If this attribute value is present it will
be part of the object's postal address.

John  McMeeking