Re: attribute options

Steven Legg writes:
>Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>> I found some old problems with attribute options in the arcive:
>> (Thread 'Active Directory question', Apr 2004)
>>
>> Option definitions are not part of the (standardized) schema.  So may
>> an option name, like an attribute name, have different meanings in
>> different parts of the DIT - in the same server?
>
> All the options I am aware of have the same meaning everywhere. I don't
> think we should allow the definition of an attribute option whose meaning
> is different in different parts of the DIT.

We do: Private options with names starting with "x-".  I should have
clarified that.  Which would also have given me the answer to my
concern with replicating from two servers with such conflicting options:

Private options are the inventor's problem.

>> Models 2.5 (Attribute Descriptions) says:
>>
>>> An attribute description with an unrecognized attribute type is to be
>>> treated as unrecognized.  Servers SHALL treat an attribute description
>>> with an unrecognized attribute option as unrecognized.  Clients MAY
>>> treat an unrecognized attribute option as a tagging option (see
>>> Section 2.5.2.1).
>> (...)

I would be sorry to see the "Clients MAY..." disappear as you suggest
but given your reply the current situation isn't good either.  I think
I'll stick to "no opinion" on this one...