Re: Requesting individual schema elements

Vithalprasad Gaitonde wrote:
Is there a mechanism by which an ldap client can request for a specific
schema element (attributetype, objectclass etc) using the OID or the
textual name of the element.

No.

If not,
1. Should this be done by the matched values extension.
http://sec.isi.salford.ac.uk/download/MatchedValues-06.txt. The draft
has expired quite sometime bac.

This would be the right solution.

2. Can we consider special casing the schema search for assertions like
attributetypes=<attrname or oid> to only return the matched value ?
The 2nd option seems preferable.

Such a special case for matched values seems weird to me. You would have to implement something like match values anyway.

BTW: I somewhat understand why you're asking for such a feature. I thought about this too. But think twice whether your LDAP client application can really live without grabbing and parsing the whole sub schema sub entry. We could take this discussion elsewhere if development of schema-aware client applications is off-topic here.

Ciao, Michael.