Re: LDAPprep: mapping of " " values

At 09:11 PM 11/16/2004, Steven Legg wrote:
>It is clear to me now that treating all strings and substrings exactly
>the same way is the problem, no matter what that way is.

I actually reached the same conclusion.  As it stands now,
(l=foo * bar) will match "foobar".  That seems counter to
the X.520/LDAP specification of these matching rules.

>I am now arguing for LDAPprep and/or syntaxes to be revised so that whitespace treatment is dependent on the context of the (sub)string. Sometimes that means reducing a string of all spaces to an empty string,
>and sometimes it doesn't.

Problem is that this is not sufficient in the above case.
(l=foo * bar) needs to match "foo bar" as well as "foo  bar"
as well as "foo X bar"  We cannot simply apply LDAPprep to
each substring and the value and match octet wise.  Also,
as Rici noted, we have to be careful not that (l=x*)
doesn't match "x'" where ' is a combining character.

Seems what we to do is remove the insignificant character
removal step from LDAPprep (or have it only collapse
adjacent spaces into one space) and then deal with
space issues in matching rule specification.

This implies a divergence from Stringprep which calls
for the output to compared code-point for code-point.

Kurt